COLLECTIVE ADVOCACY TO RELEASE WOMEN’S LAND RIGHTS IN UGANDA
The Stand for Her Land campaign (S4HL) is a global advocacy campaign to strengthen the land rights of millions of women through collective advocacy that aims to close the implementation gap between law and practice. S4HL is an inclusive, collaborative effort among a diverse group of allies including representatives of civil society, development organizations, women’s rights and empowerment groups, land rights advocates, Land mapping and technical specialists all over the world.
This Aims to tackle;-
- Political Will Global level Actors provide the needed resources to realise WLR
- CAPACITY Building – Knowledge, resources and incentive to better secure and guarantee WLR
- BEHAVIORAL CHANGE and SOCIAL NORMS – Address Social norms that limit WLR in communities, political spaces and institutional structures
- WOMEN’S LEGAL LITERACY – Women’s legal literacy and agency with regard to land rights, agriculturally increased in communities.
Looking at the Status of Women Land Rights in Uganda
- 80% of Land is under Customary Tenure (Unregistered)
- 3% Agricultural Land contributes to 26% of UG GDP.
- Women less than 20% control outputs do 70%-80% of the Agricultural cultivation.
- 31% of women between 15-49 years own land compared to 48% of Men, 38% women own houses compared to 54% men Women’s ownership of women ownership of Land has increased by 15% in 2012 26% in 2017.
- 38% of women and 54% of men 15-49yrs own a House alone of jointly with someone else. And 31% of Women and 48% of Men own land alone or jointly with some. Most have no documentation
- As of 2013/14 62.3% of the men and only 14.3% of women owned agricultural land alone while 23.3% owned it jointly. This was due to the disparity in the incomes of men and women, patriarchal and negative.
UCOBAC is currently coordinating the Stand For Her Land Campaign in Uganda under a 5 year project funded by BMZ and led by Landesa and LOSCO is taking the lead in the Campaign in Kigezi Sub region
My colleague shared your article with me and I found it very useful after reading it. Great article, it helped me a lot. I also hope to make a beautiful website like your blog, hope you can give me some advice, my website: